CASTLE ‘SIEGE’ GETS TRANS-ATLANTIC COVERAGE THANKS TO QUADRANT
Thursday 01 July 2010
Members of the PR team at Quadrant certainly had a lunch break to remember last week - becoming trapped inside the picturesque Castell Coch in Tongwynlais.
Quadrant Director, Warren Carr, said: “A cherry-picker doing some repair work was too heavy for the draw-bridge, which then snapped shut, wedging the vehicle in the entrance. We’d only gone to the castle’s coffee shop for a quick bite to eat!”
Media savvy members of the Quadrant team quickly saw the news value in the bizarre turn of events by making a series of calls to the media, giving first-hand account interviews and a play-by-play of what happened.
“Within an hour, almost every media outlet in Wales had turned up to witness the ‘fairytale castle siege’,” said Warren.
“The story was even featured on American news websites, the UK tabloids and received extensive broadcast coverage over the next few days. We were even able to get in some plugs for our company, too!”
The news appeared on America’s Fox News online, CBBC Newsround, Guardian Cardiff, The Sun, The Daily Telegraph, ITV Wales, BBC Wales, BBC Radio Wales, BBC Cymru, BBC West Midlands, The Western Mail and the South Wales Echo.
“The team at Quadrant never miss an opportunity when they’ve found a news story and last week’s events are testament to that,” added Warren.
“It’s not everyday that you hit the headlines on a lunch-break, but it’s all in a day’s work for us!”